2007년 2월 25일 일요일

Journal #1

“Next to me, crushed against me for the whole journey, there had been a woman. We had known each other for many years, and the misfortune had struck us together, but we knew little of each other. Now, in the hour of decision, we said to each other things that are never said among the living. We said farewell and it was short; everybody said farewell to life through his neighbour. We had no more fear.” (Pg 19)

I remember when I cried for the first time to say farewell to my friends. Even though I knew that I would certainly meet them again someday, my tears kept on falling because of the fact that I won’t be seeing them for the next few years. Yet what if I was never going to see them again? There won’t be any mourning because I would be awestricken since it would be the final and last time of seeing my friends in this life. I can’t still imagine the situation of ‘what if I was there in Auschwitz concentration camp’. But if I really was in that predicament, I would have feared nothing as well because there would be nothing to lose. I would have lost everything including family, friends, and all of my possessions anyway. Although death is what I fear the most, I won’t even fear death because I won’t see the point of living when everything in my life has been perished. Thus I would prefer to give up my life on this earth and dwell in Heaven with serenity and happiness in my soul.